Remember The Removal Project Bike Ride
Applications Accepted beginning 7:00 AM on Friday, September 15, 2017
Deadline for Applications: 11:59 PM on October 31, 2017
Please read the entire introduction to the Remember The Removal Project Bike Ride to see if you qualify to participate before completing the application below.
The Remember the Removal Bike Ride is a nearly 1,000 miles in length. However it is not simply a test of endurance but is a program that teaches the history of the Trail of Tears so that we, as Cherokee people, never forget the struggles our ancestors endured while being forcibly removed in 1838 from our homelands in the east to Indian Territory (present day Oklahoma).
What Cherokee Nation is looking for:
The selection committee, whose members will not be related to any applicant, will carefully review the essays and applicant data submitted for many factors. We are looking for young Cherokee Nation citizens willing to garner knowledge of Cherokee history and their ancestry related to the Trail of Tears. Successful applicants enjoy public speaking, being photographed, videoed, interviewed and interacting with the public. Program participants may be interviewed by many media organizations during the event, as well as asked questions by the public we meet along the way--we're looking for riders who are personable, well-spoken and make great ambassadors for the Cherokee Nation, as many of the people we meet have never met any real Cherokees!
If selected to participate in the program you will not only be required to participate in a rigorous physical training schedule; you will be required to attend history classes and learn about the Trail of Tears. You will also be making presentations at many events and/or be asked to participate in other organized rides during this year and in future years.
Qualifications: All applicants must meet the following list of requirements to qualify for this program:
- - Must be a Cherokee Nation citizen.
- - Must not have participated in this program in the past.
- - Age 16 to 24 years as of January 1 prior to the event.
- - Submit a photograph of yourself along with your application Form ID number written on the photo to RTR@cherokee.org
- - Be able to pass a sport physical provided by Cherokee Nation during the post-selection orientation.
- - Must commit to physically attending all mandatory trainings and classes in Tahlequah.
- - Must have three letters of recommendation mailed (or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org) directly from the recommending party by the application deadline. Letters of recommendation SHOULD NOT be from Cherokee Nation employees, Cherokee Nation Administration or Tribal Councilors. Letters should be from someone with whom you have worked academically or professionally and whom you’ve known for a minimum of three years.
If you have any questions about the application please contact, Gloria Sly at 918-453-5154 or Gloria-Sly@cherokee.org.
Click Here for Online Application!