Remember the Removal: Trail of Tears Bike Ride
Deadline: January 3, 2014
The 2014 Remember the Removal: Trail of Tears Bike Ride Program is not just about endurance (on a 950 mile bike ride) but is an educational program that teaches the history of the Trail of Tears. Cherokee People should Never Forget the struggles our ancestors endured on the removal from our homelands in the east to Indian Territory in 1838. The 2014 ride will take place in late Spring or early Summer. Exact time frame will be announced at a later date. The ride will take approximately three weeks to complete.
- Pass a sport physical conducted by a Cherokee Nation physician;
- Participate in group bike riding training;
- Attend the Trail of Tears history classes;
- Make presentations and appearances; and
- Participate in organized bike rides during this year.
- Be able to ride from 25 to 80 miles per day;
- Visit historical sites and attend presentations;
- Maintain proper diet in accordance program guidelines; and
- Follow the direction of the team leaders.
- Must be a Cherokee Nation Citizen;
- Must not have participated in this program in the past. Alumni riders contact Patrick Hill;
- Must be between the ages of 16 to 24 years on January 1, 2014.
- Must reside (permanent address) inside the 14 County Tribal Jurisdictional Service Area; and
- Must have 3 Letters of recommendation.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Patrick Hill, Project Manager at 918-207-3919 or Youth-Leadership@cherokee.org.
Reference letters can be mailed, emailed or faxed to:
Remember The Removal Bike Ride
Attention: Patrick Hill
Cherokee Nation Education Services
P.O. Box 948
Tahlequah, OK 74465-0948
Follow us on Facebook
Click Here for the Online Application!