Application deadline has passed for the 2014 event.
Support the Ride: Click here to purchase a "Remember The Removal" T-shirt!
The 2014 Remember the Removal: Trail of Tears Bike Ride Program is not just about enduring a 950 mile bike ride; it is an educational program that teaches the history of the Trail of Tears. Cherokee People should Never Forget the struggles our ancestors endured on the removal from our homelands in the east to Indian Territory in 1838. The 2014 ride will take place in late Spring or early Summer. Exact time frame will be announced at a later date. The ride will take approximately three weeks to complete.
- Pass a sport physical conducted by a Cherokee Nation physician;
- Participate in group bike riding training;
- Attend the Trail of Tears history classes;
- Make presentations and appearances; and
- Participate in organized bike rides during this year.
- Be able to ride from 25 to 80 miles per day;
- Visit historical sites and attend presentations;
- Maintain proper diet in accordance program guidelines; and
- Follow the direction of the team leaders.
- Must be a Cherokee Nation Citizen;
- Must not have previously participated in the program. Alumni riders contact Gloria Sly;
- Must be between the ages of 16 to 24 years on January 1, 2014.
- Must reside (permanent address) inside the 14 County Tribal Jurisdictional Service Area; and
- Must have 3 Letters of recommendation.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Joseph Erb, Project Coordinator at 918-453-5198
Reference letters can be mailed, emailed or faxed to:
Remember The Removal Bike Ride
Attention: Gloria Sly
Cherokee Nation Education Services
P.O. Box 948
Tahlequah, OK 74465-0948
Follow us on Facebook
Application will open September 15, 2014.