Search

Van House


Historical Significance: The Chief Vann House Historic Site is a 23-acre park containing a 2-story brick mansion built in 1804 by James Vann, a member of the Cherokee elite. After his death in 1809, ownership passed to his eldest son Joseph, who continued to live there until February 1835, when he and his family were forcibly removed.

Available Facilities: The state historic site contains an interpretive center, 50-seat theater, sales area, picnic area, and 1-mile self-guiding trail to the Vann historic spring. Wheelchair-accessible parking and restrooms are available. The historic house is not wheelchair accessible, but a video tour is available. The State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources manages the site, a certified site on the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail.

Exhibits: Interpretation focuses on the Vanns, a prominent Cherokee family living there in the early 1800s prior to the Trail of Tears. A 3,000-square foot interpretive center contains exhibits about the Vann family, Cherokee Nation, and Trail of Tears. A collection of artifacts, furnishings, and other items is on display.

Special Programs: Guided tours of the historic house are provided for all visitors.

To learn more: