A few blocks south of the Henegar House is the former home of Lewis Ross, brother and business partner of Principal Chief John Ross. Lewis Ross came to the area in 1821 and operated a trading post and ferry in Charleston. Ross was a good businessman and became quite wealthy. He was the primary contractor for the detachments that were removed under the supervision of John Ross. He profited as much as any individual from the Cherokee Removal and reportedly had a net worth of more than a million dollars in the early 1860s. The home, under successive ownerships, was expanded in the late 19th century and has been remodeled extensively on several occasions. Today, it bears little resemblance to the original house built before the removal.