Search

Fitzgerald Farm



A. Cannon Detachment

On October 14, 1837, a detachment of 365 Cherokees led by B. B. Cannon left Tennessee bound for Indian Territory. This group represented the minority of the Cherokees who supported the Treaty of New Echota, and was one of three detachments organized and supervised by the U. S. Government. Unlike the later detachments whose removal was involuntary, the Cannon party requested and received a military escort. Cannon pioneered the overland Northern Route, which passed through northwest Arkansas. Cannon's journal of the trip mentions the Fitzgerald farm:
Decr. 25th, 1837.
Marched at 8 o'c. A. M., took the right hand road to Cane hill, at Fitzgeralds, halted a half mile in advance of Mr. Cunninghams at a branch, 3 o'c. P. M., Issued corn & fodder and salt Pork. 15 ½ miles to day.
B. Taylor Detachment
On September 20, 1838, a detachment of 1,029 Cherokees led by Richard Taylor left Tennessee for Indian Territory. This detachment was one of 13 parties organized and removed under the supervision of the Cherokee Nation. Of the 13 detachments, 11 traveled on the Northern Route, which passed through northwest Arkansas.
The journal of William Isaac Irvins Morrow, a physician traveling with the detachment, mentions the Fitzgerald farm:
March 20, 1839.
Wednesday 20th Cloudy & cool - traveled 15 miles to the X Hollows, eat dinner at Homeslys & came on 5 miles to Fitzgeralds in company with Cox Fields Hemger [Hinegar?] & George D. Morrow. A mean house.